SHORT DROP-IN INTERNALLY THREADED EXPANSION SHELL ANCHOR
AUTHORIZED SIMPSON STRONG-TIE DISTRIBUTOR
Drop-in anchors from Simpson Strong-Tie are internally threaded, deformation-controlled expansion anchors with a preassembled expander plug, suitable for flush mount applications in solid base materials. The anchor is set by driving the expansion plug towards the bottom of the anchor using the setting tool. Short Drop-In anchors are for use in solid and hollow concrete. The short length permits shallow embedment that helps to avoid drilling into rebar or prestressing strands. The wide surface flange enables the Short Drop-In to be installed in deep or bottomless holes. Fixed-depth drill bits are also available to take the guesswork out of drilling to the correct depth for these 3/8″ and 1/2″ Short Drop-Ins. Using the fixed depth bit drill bit prevents overdrilling, which saves time and prolongs bit life.
CARBON STEEL SHORT DROP-IN ANCHORS
- A dedicated setting tool is included with each box of Short Drop-In Anchors.
Note: DIA37S, DIA50C and DIA75C are not available in stainless steel.
- Drill a hole in the base material using the appropriate diameter carbide drill bit as specified in the product information table. Drill the hole to the specified embedment depth plus 1/8″ for flush mounting. Blow the hole clean using compressed air. Overhead installations need not be blown clean.
- Insert Drop-In anchor into hole. Tap with hammer until flush against surface.
- Using the Drop-In setting tool, drive expander plug towards the bottom of the anchor until shoulder of setting tool makes contact with the top of the anchor.
- Minimum thread engagement should be equal to the nominal diameter of the threaded insert.
Caution: Oversized holes will make it difficult to set the anchor and will reduce the anchor’s load capacity.
Drop-In Anchor Installation Sequence
Fixed-Depth Drill Bit for Short Drop-In Anchors
Using the fixed-depth drill bit prevents overdrilling, which saves time and prolongs bit life.
- City of L.A. RR24682
- Factory Mutual 3017082
- Underwriters Laboratories File Ex3605
- Meets requirements
of Federal Specifications A-A-55614, Type I.
The load tables list values based upon results from the most recent testing and may not reflect those in current code reports. Where code jurisdictions apply, consult the current reports for applicable load values.
The Drop-In anchor has been tested in accordance with ICC-ES’s Acceptance Criteria for Expansion Anchors (AC01) for the following:
- Seismic/wind loading
- Combination tension and shear loads
- Critical and minimum edge distance and spacing
Sources: ASTM Standards for Mechanical Fasteners and Related Processes 2nd Edition, Inch Fastener Standards 8th Edition, Simpson Strong-Tie Anchoring and Fastening Systems for Concrete and Masonry, StrongTie.com
Note: All material included on this page is informational only, and should not be used as one’s sole source for design purposes. STS Industrial, Inc. and its affiliates do not guarantee the accuracy of the information on this site, and retain no liability for the use or misuse of the information contained on this site.